August 15th, 2019
TITLE: Community & Special Events Coordinator
DATE: August 2019
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Events
POSITION OVERVIEW (PURPOSE):
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Events, this position is responsible for overseeing the management of Second Harvest’s community and third-party events portfolio (i.e. fundraising initiatives organized, staged, and funded by community groups, clubs, businesses, or individuals who wish to raise money on behalf of Second Harvest). The incumbent will work collaboratively with all departments to leverage and grow partnership opportunities in order to maximize community event revenue generation and is tasked with growing the community events portfolio by an additional 25K in the first year. This position will also support the signature annual fundraiser Toronto Taste (silent auction and raffle administration) as well as the overall achievement of Second Harvest’s fundraising targets.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Works in collaboration with the Events team to identify and implement community event goals/objectives.
• Builds and maintains positive relationships with external stakeholders (community groups, agencies, and corporate partners), communicating the mission of Second Harvest.
• Engages and renews existing partnerships with third-party organizations to maximize and expand upon event revenue generation opportunities.
• Strategically identifies, solicits, and develops new community partnerships for Second Harvest; researches partnership opportunities that align with Second Harvest’s objectives in order to grow its community events portfolio.
• Performs initial outreach to community event prospects; deepens prospects’ awareness of and engagement with Second Harvest, in order to maximize partnership opportunities; fosters and develops relationships with prospects, acting as key relationship manager.
• Meets or exceeds revenue goals of increasing events portfolio by $25,000.00 in the first year by coordinating and executing various partnership events and programs.
• Coordinates with internal stakeholders including the Marketing & Communications department as well as the Volunteer Program team to ensure accurate and on-time delivery of contractual commitments.
• Works collaboratively with the Volunteer Program Coordinator to ensure all event volunteer needs are filled; provides supervision and training of volunteers at all community events.
• Analyzes and evaluates community events for effectiveness, conducting post-event reporting and ROI analysis; implements improvements to achieve higher impact and return at future events.
• Administers the Silent and Wine Auctions for Toronto Taste on-site; Coordinates and supervises event-night table volunteers, collaborating with Senior Manager, Events, team members, and vendor to provide seamless pick-up and check-out experience.
• Executes the Toronto Taste Raffle, including gift-in-kind prize solicitation, raffle application and administration, pre-event raffle ticket sales strategy and execution, and on-site raffle ticket sales.
• Acts as a key staff member on-site at Toronto Taste during set-up, execution, tear-down.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the Development department.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience.
• 3-5 years of experience in a fundraising and/or special events role; 3-5 years of experience working with community events; non-profit experience would be a strong asset.
• Demonstrated experience in supporting the cultivation and implementation of community events (fundraising activities by third-party groups/individuals, where Second Harvest has on-site involvement on the day of but no logistical responsibility, with proceeds benefiting Second Harvest).
• Exemplary relationship management skills; proven track record of successfully soliciting prospects through a variety of channels, including face-to-face, phone contact, and email.
• People and volunteer management experience would be considered an asset.
• Ability to communicate the vision and mission of Second Harvest to external prospects.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• A go-getter who thrives under pressure and a fast-paced environment, uses a proactive approach and superior organizational skills to stay on top of multiple competing priorities.
• Takes initiative and demonstrates ownership and exceptional follow-through.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills, with a professional, friendly disposition who utilizes discretion and diplomacy.
• Enthusiastic team player with an ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
• Keen attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy.
• Strong information and data management skills.
• Physical stamina to meet demands of on-site event execution (being on feet for long hours, lifting, etc.).
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Schedule flexibility; ability to work frequent evenings/weekends at community events.
• A valid G class license with access to a vehicle is required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter on or before September 2, 2019 via email, with “COMMUNITY EVENTS COORDINATOR” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.