September 27th, 2019
TITLE: Donor Communications & Stewardship Officer
DATE: September 2019
DEPARTMENT: Development, Marketing & Communications
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Donor Relations
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and an expert in perishable food recovery. We believe surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain should be redirected to feed communities.
Our services help to nourish people through school programs, seniors’ centres, shelters, community meal programs, food banks, and regional food hubs while at the same time keeping good food out of landfill, protecting our atmosphere from GHG emissions that are contributing to climate change.
We lead the avoidable food waste conversation and promote waste reduction and food recovery wherever possible to benefit all of us – environmentally, economically and socially.
Established in Toronto in 1985, Second Harvest currently operates in Ontario and BC through direct delivery and its community-driven online platform FoodRescue.ca.
POSITION OVERVIEW (PURPOSE):
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Donor Relations, this position is responsible for the content, design, and creation of a wide range of donor stewardship and donor cultivation pieces, including personal impact reports, program specific updates, mid-level and major giving cultivation documents, and direct mail pieces. The incumbent will leverage their superior writing and design skills, as well as their experience producing direct marketing, to develop integrated campaigns in order to retain and acquire donors as well as support overall communication efforts.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Participates in strategic planning activities in collaboration with Development team members, to identify opportunities to increase stewardship or implement new practices.
• Creates passionate, articulate, and moving stakeholder materials/donor stewardship reports (including writing content and designing layout) that connect donors with the impact of their philanthropy.
• Supports the stewardship responsibilities of Second Harvest by coordinating the creation and delivery of personalized stewardship and impact reports.
• Develops and coordinates a system to prioritize, prepare, send, and track stewardship reports for gifts, as well as any special requests from donors and including producing all content for the reports.
• Collaborates with Development and Communications teams to enhance donor recognition and experience on Second Harvest’s website, in the annual report, and other printed, digital and video materials; ensures consistency of brand and messaging across all materials produced.
• Collaborates with Communications staff to promote the use of social media for donor recognition.
• Works closely with the Senior Manager, Donor Relations and other senior staff to develop donor acknowledgement, recognition, and stewardship strategies, and assist with the management of donors in stewardship.
• Drafts personal appreciation and stewardship letters for donors as directed.
• Participates in the implementation of a high touch stewardship program that uses telephone, email, letters/tax receipts, and notes to communicate timely gratitude to our supporters, engaging colleagues, board members, and volunteers across the organization in the donor appreciation process.
• Ensures department-wide collection of various stewardship materials and shares with the organization to support the cultivation of prospects, donors, and people of influence.
• Ensures the timely fulfillment of donor recognition on Second Harvest assets such as the website, truck fleet, newsletter and e-news issues, collaborating with colleagues to ensure all recognition commitments are fulfilled.
• Leads staff involvement in organization-wide donor stewardship practices and manages various cross-functional stewardship projects.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience.
• 2-3 years of non-profit communications experience preferably focused on individual and foundation philanthropy audiences.
• Specialized graphic design and/or creative writing experience.
• Demonstrated ability to develop layout and produce newsletters, customized stewardship reports, templates, mailers, and web-based publications.
• Experience with donor recognition and stewardship practices, with a keen understanding of and respect for the donor cycle, journey and experience; understands the difference between communicating specifically for donor engagement vs. mission marketing (and is comfortable working in each area).
• Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Experience with design programs such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
• Experience working within a donor database.
• Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills coupled with superior customer service skills.
• Demonstrated ability managing multiple priorities and projects; able to meet deadlines and handle a high volume of work.
• Enthusiastic team player with an ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
• Keen attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy, along with strong data processing abilities.
• Excellent organization and project/time management skills.
• Professional attitude, and able to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Some evening and weekend work required for special events or during peak periods.
Please submit your resume and cover letter on or before October 14, 2019 via email, with “DONOR COMMUNICATIONS & STEWARDSHIP OFFICER” in the subject line, to email@example.com. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.