May 13th, 2020
DATE: May 2020
DEPARTMENT: Programs & Partnerships
REPORTS TO: Lead Driver
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery.
We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities.
Second Harvest is looking for a seasoned DZ Driver to join our team. Reporting to the Lead Driver, this position ensures that the pick-up and delivery of all second Harvest food is executed in a safe and efficient manner and that the distribution of food is executed equitably to all member programs. The Driver also acts as an Ambassador of Second Harvest by possessing awareness and understanding of issues related to hunger and homelessness in Toronto.
• Perform complete circle check/inspection logs of the assigned truck at the beginning of each shift.
• Pick up food from donors and deliver it to agencies as per Health & Safety regulations.
• Be responsible for loading and unloading assigned product into the assigned truck for every shift.
• Handle food in a safe manner and ensure all food is stored as per food safety regulations.
• Ensure that food is stored appropriately (i.e. floor, freezer or cooler, truck) and that truck is parked in the designated spots.
• Collaborate with all Drivers, Lead Driver and the Warehouse & Fleet Supervisor to ensure food is divided adequately and equitably across all the routes.
• Maintain accurate records of all food pick-ups and deliveries.
• Maintain a high level of customer service with all stakeholders.
• Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
• Experienced Driver: You have a valid DZ driver’s license and a minimum of 3 years’ experience driving 10 speed trucks (must provide a clean driver’s abstract); you have proven ability to perform driver pick-up and delivery functions, and associated record-keeping.
• Previous experience with cold chain/reefer units would be considered a strong asset.
• GTA-Savvy: you have thorough knowledge of the GTA, particularly downtown Toronto, and have at least 2 years driving experience in the city.
• Professional: you have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, as well as strong conflict resolution and negotiation abilities.
• Communicator: you can communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Physically able to climb in and out of the truck, lifting up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis throughout the day.
• Excellent time management skills.
• Experience in the social services sector would be an asset.
• Food Handling certificate would be an asset.
• Must be willing to undergo a background check.
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN:
• The opportunity to work for a purposeful organization.
• A whole lot of fun.
Please submit your resume on or before May 31, 2020 via email, with “DZ DRIVER” in the subject line, to email@example.com. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.