Event Manager, Toronto Taste
August 19th, 2021
TITLE: Event Manager, Toronto Taste
DATE: August 2021
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Strategic Partnerships
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
SALARY: $60,000 – $65,000 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities. Demonstrating our values of community, environment, integrity, and collaboration, we strive for No Waste. No Hunger.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Strategic Partnerships, the Event Manager, Toronto Taste is responsible for producing and executing Second Harvest’s annual fundraising event, Toronto Taste. June 2022 marks the 30th anniversary of the marquee production Toronto Taste, with a revenue goal of $1.1+ million, which will be achieved through sponsorships, ticket sales, auxiliary revenue generators (live, silent, fine wine and online auctions; raffle; on-site pay-to-play), and donations. The Event Manager, Toronto Taste acts as the principal leader of and the primary executor on a cross-functional project team, overseeing, implementing, and supporting all aspects of the event.
We are looking for a strategic, efficient team player who can hit the ground running and work collaboratively to build and deliver a successful event.
• Develop and implement direction for Toronto Taste in alignment with organizational strategic priorities.
• Develop, manage, and monitor the Toronto Taste revenue and expense budgets in alignment with the objectives of the overall revenue generation plan and organizational budget; responsible for meeting annual financial and expense targets.
• Manage and liaise with all event participants, vendors, city authorities, and venue contacts to secure contracts, permits and coordinate logistics.
• Develop and manage site and signage plans in collaboration with key team members.
• Plan and manage stage programming in collaboration with Marketing & Communications team.
• Manage all elements of pre-event and on-site revenue generating activities including ticket sales, raffle, and auctions in collaboration with Prizing & Gifting Administrator.
• Support the Senior Manager, Strategic Partnerships with developing creative on-site activation opportunities for event sponsors and partners.
• Identify, create, and manage prospects and opportunities in collaboration with other team members to leverage in-kind support with a goal to offset costs.
• Support the execution of a comprehensive marketing and promotional campaign.
• Lead a cross-functional Toronto Taste team comprised of multi-level and multi-department staff who support the event.
• Act as lead staff member on-site at Toronto Taste during set-up, execution, and tear-down.
• Support major functions of event wrap-up, including financial reconciliation, reporting and inventory, and generation of thank-you letters.
• Maintain vendor records and associated activities in Raiser’s Edge database ensuring a high level of accuracy.
• Explore and monitors trends in the event and fundraising industries to inform the strategic direction of Toronto Taste.
• Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
• Event Planner: you have 3-5 years of experience managing intimate as well as large, complex event formats, with full ownership responsibilities for planning, budget, and execution.
• Communicator: you have exceptional communication and diplomacy skills coupled with extensive experience in cross-functional collaboration, you are decisive when needed and embodies grace under pressure.
• Collaborative: you have a positive, collaborative working style; your past colleagues would call you a “team player”; you have highly developed interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and strong negotiation skills.
• Organized: you have excellent project and time management skills; you have a very keen attention to detail, coupled with the ability to multitask.
• Strategic and Results-Oriented: you are a creative thinker who can generate new ideas and initiatives, and plan and execute their implementation.
• Degree or diploma in event management or its equivalent in specialized training and experience is an asset.
• Proven track record in relationship management.
• Skilled at budget development, management, and financial reconciliation.
• Knowledge and/or experience working with chefs and restaurants and beverage purveyors is as asset.
• Experience working with donor management databases (specifically Raiser’s Edge) is an asset.
• Completion of a COVID-19 Health and Safety compliance course is an asset.
• Able to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends; access to a vehicle and a valid Class G driver’s license preferred.
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN:
• A whole lot of fun.
• The opportunity to work for an internationally recognized, purpose-driven organization.
• Competitive compensation and benefits.
Please submit your cover letter and resume on or before September 12, 2021 via email with “EVENT MANAGER, TORONTO TASTE” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-seeking groups such as (but not limited to): racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you required any accommodations.