April 23rd, 2020
TITLE: Food Recovery Manager
DATE: April 2020
DEPARTMENT: Programs and Partnerships
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Food Recovery
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities.
As the organization continues to expand across Canada both through its offline logistics program and online food donation platform, FoodRescue.ca, Second Harvest is ramping up its development of a national food donor and distribution network. To support this, Second Harvest is looking for an adaptive, decisive, and persuasive team-player to join our team as the Food Recovery Manager.
We are looking for a hard-working individual with strong relationship building skills who can hit the ground running and achieve ambitious targets, while supporting Second Harvest’s goal of rescuing and redistributing as much good, surplus food as possible.
• Help to secure infrastructure and distribution hub partnerships across Canada to support the efficiency of national food donations;
• Support the Senior Manager, Food Recovery and National Food Donor Manager to establish a strong, national food brokerage network, and work with partners to redirect large-scale food donations;
• Develop and manage short and long-term strategies for increased food donations nationally;
• Research and identify new sources of food donations, and actively recruit and steward new donors with a goal to increase the quality and volume of food donated;
• Conduct cold calls, secure meetings, visit with and make presentations to both current and potential donors, with a goal to increase quantity, quality, and efficiency of food donations;
• Attend food industry trade shows/conferences and network with potential food donors;
• Steward food donors through thank you letters and other forms of acknowledgement, creating recognition opportunities in collaboration with the Communications team;
• Work collaboratively with the Development department to identify and support joint giving and recognition opportunities;
• Working with the Second Harvest data team, produce and analyze food donation reports regularly for internal, Board, and external stakeholders;
• Identify lapsed food donors as well as donors who are decreasing their food donation support, and develop a strategy to increase donations from these parties;
• Review and develop best practices for food procurement, including traceability, value chain, etc.;
• Support the development of additional resources for the food recovery team, to increase donor registration, rescue rates, and overall success;
• Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
• Industrious: you know how to get the job done, doing whatever it takes to meet and exceed goals;
• Partnership-Minded: you are a people person who makes friends easily and can leverage existing relationships to build program success;
• Communicative: you have a knack for making complex ideas seem clear and simple; team members and peers always know what you’re up to;
• Flexible: constant change motivates you to adapt and grow;
• Analytical: data is your friend; you’re able to translate numbers into action and pave the way for efficiency;
• Customer-Focused: slightly obsessive when it comes to user experience and strive to deliver a product that is second to none;
• Experience working in a client-facing role within the food industry;
• Able to travel and have a Valid Class G driver’s license (mileage compensated);
• *Bilingualism is an asset.
Please submit your resume on or before May 10, 2020 via email, with “FOOD RECOVERY MANAGER” in the subject line, to email@example.com. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.