February 10th, 2020
TITLE: National Program Director, FoodRescue.ca
DATE: February 2020
REPORTS TO: CEO
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities.
In 2018, Second Harvest launched its innovative online platform, FoodRescue.ca, which enables businesses to donate surplus food to not-for-profit agencies. It is an easy-to-use, free platform that helps users track and manage food donations, while ensuring edible surplus is diverted from landfill. FoodRescue.ca is operating in Ontario and British Columbia and is poised to become the one-stop-shop for food recovery across Canada as we gear up for full national expansion.
Second Harvest is looking for an adaptive, innovative, solutions-based thinker to join our team as the National Program Director, FoodRescue.ca. Reporting into the CEO, this new position is created to develop and implement a national expansion strategy for our cutting-edge program.
We are looking for someone with a positive outlook, who is entrepreneurial in spirit, is motivated by people, change and constant learning; a National Program Director who is a visionary and also willing to climb into the trenches to get the job done when needed.
• Develop and implement the strategy for national expansion of FoodRescue.ca into all provinces and territories; identify and evaluate any barriers and risk associated with large-scale expansion;
• Be the national ambassador for FoodRescue.ca; engaging with diverse audiences to deliver presentations, participate in speaking engagements and build the brand of Second Harvest and the FoodRescue.ca program;
• Build strong, national partnerships, working with many stakeholders including businesses and non-profits, to implement the program and meet all required deliverables;
• Collaborate with the Second Harvest leadership team to ensure program development accurately reflects the needs and priorities of FoodRescue.ca users, internal staff, community partners, and industry standards;
• Support the Second Harvest Development team to secure new funding that will ensure long-term sustainability of the platform;
• Support the marketing and communication strategy to generate awareness about FoodRescue.ca nationally and internationally;
• Manage a team of direct reports, based in various geographic regions across Canada, creating a positive team dynamic and monitoring performance and development goals; mentors, assigns accountabilities, sets objectives, establishes priorities, evaluates results, and conducts annual performance reviews;
• Assesses capability gaps and opportunities to improve FoodRescue.ca; works with the team to collect and identify issues and improvements to enhance the program;
• Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
• Bold: you are a true entrepreneurial spirit and not afraid to take calculated risks to disrupt the status quo; you’re a visionary leader that listens to your team and values their ideas;
• Partnership-Minded: you are a people person who makes friends easily and can leverage existing relationships to build program success;
• Strategic: you recognize and resolve situations that are ambiguous or challenging, focus efforts on meeting or exceeding goals;
• Naturally Curious: you’re innovative, extremely creative, and constantly looking for ways to improve upon things;
• Analytical: data is your friend; you’re able to translate numbers into action and pave the way for efficiency;
• Problem Solver: you have a knack for planning and are a critical thinker who uses logic to identify alternatives and present solutions to complex problems while thinking in terms of contingency plans;
• Customer-Focused: slightly obsessive when it comes to user experience and strive to deliver a product that is second to none;
• Experienced in working both with the non-profit sector and corporate partners;
• Able to travel extensively across Canada and have a Valid Class G driver’ s license (mileage compensated).
*Bilingualism is an asset
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN:
• A whole lot of fun
• Competitive compensation
Please submit your resume and cover letter on or before March 1, 2020 via email, with “NATIONAL PROGRAM DIRECTOR” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.