August 7th, 2019
TITLE: Prospect Research Associate
DATE: August 2019
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Philanthropy
POSITION OVERVIEW (PURPOSE):
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Philanthropy, this position is responsible for supporting the achievement of Second Harvest’s annual revenue targets by leading the Development department’s prospect research and pipeline management functions. The Prospect Research Associate works in partnership with all Development team members and supports key relationship managers in individual, foundation, and corporate philanthropy.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Leads prospect research and pipeline management for Second Harvest’s Development department, supporting relationship managers in individual, foundation, and corporate philanthropy.
• Employs best practices in prospect research, including data mining, non-profit sector monitoring, giving capacity analysis, and media scanning.
• Ensures the maintenance and growth of a robust and high-quality pipeline of individual, foundation, and corporate prospects to support relationship managers.
• Screens and evaluates existing, incoming, and prospective donors.
• Leads prospect assignment and supports relationship managers in monitoring moves management targets.
• Generates new leads through the identification of high-potential individual and institutional (foundation and corporate) donors.
• Supports relationship managers in the development of donor cultivation and solicitation plans.
• Prepares prospect briefs for relationship managers before meetings and special events.
• Supports the strategic development of invitation lists for donor cultivation events.
• Ensures maintenance of accurate, clean, and thorough prospect records in iMIS database.
• Provides recommendations to inform the ongoing improvement of iMIS database as related to pipeline and moves management.
• Participates in strategic planning activities in collaboration with Development team members, to identify and implement fundraising goals/objectives.
• Delivers superior ongoing customer service to internal partners.
• Engages in professional development activities to ensure alignment with industry best practices in prospect research.
• Accountable for meeting quarterly and annual performance targets based on donor prospect pipeline (including number of prospects, quality of prospects, and conversion rate).
• Accountable for supporting overall Development revenue and engagement targets.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the Development department.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience.
• 2-3 years of prospect research experience, preferably in a fundraising setting.
• Familiarity with donor prospect research best practices and industry standards.
• Experience using web-based prospect research tools, such as Grant Connect and CharityCAN.
• Exemplary customer service skills, team-oriented attitude, and ability to navigate relationships with multiple internal stakeholders.
• Strong communication skills, including the ability to prepare clear, concise reports and effective presentations.
• Ability to mine, analyze, and report on large data sets (donor lists).
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and projects; able to meet deadlines and handle a high volume of work.
• Experience working within a donor database and adhering to the highest standards of privacy protection.
• Knowledge of the Canadian philanthropic landscape is an asset.
• Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Keen attention to detail, thoroughness, and accuracy.
• Accountable for personal targets and comfortable both offering and asking for support.
• Excellent organization and project/time management skills.
• Professional attitude, and able to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Some evening and weekend work required for special events or during peak periods.
Please submit your resume and cover letter on or before August 25, 2019 via email, with “PROSPECT RESEARCH ASSOCIATE” in the subject line, to email@example.com. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.