March 6th, 2020
TITLE: Software Developer, FoodRescue.ca
DATE: March 2020
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, FoodRescue.ca
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities.
In 2018, Second Harvest launched its innovative online platform, FoodRescue.ca, which enables businesses to donate surplus food to not-for-profit agencies. It is an easy-to-use, free platform that helps users track and manage food donations, while ensuring edible surplus is diverted from landfill. FoodRescue.ca is operating in Ontario and British Columbia and is poised to become the one-stop-shop for food recovery across Canada as we gear up for full national expansion.
Second Harvest is looking for a collaborative, adaptive problem-solver to join our team as the Software Developer, FoodRescue.ca. Under the direction of the Senior Manager, FoodRescue.ca, this position will work with external development partners to build, fix, and stabilize FoodRescue.ca, as well as integrating with other technology platforms at Second Harvest. As non-profit staff wear many hats, there is a huge opportunity in this role to learn new skills while honing your professional knowledge at the same time.
The FoodRescue.ca platform is built using Sitefinty and hosted in Azure. It features a back-end database as well as integration with Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement, which has been customized to our needs. The system also integrates with our Office 365 account and services and various Azure cloud services.
• Support the FoodRescue.ca platform, including web and mobile development, ensuring technical issues are resolved efficiently and effectively;
• Liaise with external technical vendors, working collaboratively to build and fix the FoodRescue.ca technology;
• Help to guide the technology development strategy and timeline, in collaboration with the Senior Manager, FoodRescue.ca;
• Conduct user experience testing as external vendors release new iterations of FoodRescue.ca;
• Collaborate with the Second Harvest leadership team to ensure technical development accurately reflects the needs and priorities of FoodRescue.ca users, internal staff, community partners, and industry standards;
• Assess capability gaps and opportunities to improve the FoodRescue.ca technology; work with the team to collect and identify issues and improvements to enhance the program;
• Oversee staff training as new technology features and solutions are developed;
• Working with Second Harvest’s Data and Analytics team, integrate FoodRescue.ca with platforms across the organization.
• Detail-Oriented: you are proud of your work and know that cutting corners isn’t an option;
• An Industry Expert: you’re up to date with technology trends and are always looking for new solutions to old problems;
• Naturally Curious: you’re innovative, extremely creative, and constantly looking for ways to improve upon things;
• Energized: you’re always ready to take on new things and have fun doing it; if you’re not having fun, you’re not doing it right;
• Motivated by Challenges: some things are tough and may feel like they aren’t easily resolved, but your passion for perfection keeps you going;
• Experienced creating solutions with:
• Valid Class G driver’s license with ability to travel (mileage compensated);
• *Bilingualism is an asset.
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN:
• A whole lot of fun
• Competitive compensation
Please submit your resume and cover letter on or before March 22, 2020 via email, with “SOFTWARE DEVELOPER, FOODRESCUE.CA” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are invited to attend an interview and require an accommodation, please advise us in advance of our meeting.