Turkey Drive: Help a Family In Need
October 1st, 2016
The Need for Turkeys: Thistletown Food Bank
St. James Town is one of Toronto’s most economically challenged neighbourhoods. This diverse, colourful community is home to Thistletown Food Bank, a Second Harvest recipient agency since 1986.
We spoke to Thistletown’s food bank supervisor, Eda Black, who told us that “Turkeys are very important to us. We are very thankful to Second Harvest, particularly this time of year.” The food bank receives approximately 300 turkeys each year, which are distributed to their clients on a first-come, first-served basis. “The turkeys provide several days of supper for hundreds of families. We also supply other foods to help them create a full turkey dinner –right now we have stuffing that we will distibute along with the turkeys,” Eda told us.
The food bank serves many newcomers to Canada, lots of families with young children, students from the nighbourhood, many seniors struggling to make ends meet on their pensions, and single people with low incomes.
Every year, the need for turkeys grow and Thistletown is not able to supply approximately 50 families with turkeys.
Please, help us collect 5,000 turkeys at this year’s Turkey Drive to provide warm, holiday meals for Torontonians in need this year.
About Turkey Drive
In its 14th year, Turkey Drive is our holiday food-raising campaign that unites shoppers and volunteers in Loblaws locations across the city, to ensure hungry Torontonians can enjoy a warm, holiday meal. Turkey Drive helps us meet our agency requests for healthy protein, one of the hardest types of food for Second Harvest to acquire.
Last year, we raised a total of 5,986 turkeys for hungry Torontonians and we hope to raise even more this year. Look for our incredible volunteers stationed in the frozen meat department, donning reindeer antlers, Santa hats, and for a lucky few – full-body turkey costumes, to sell turkeys to generous shoppers this year!
This year’s Turkey Drive will take place December 3rd – 4th & December 10th – 11th at the following Loblaws locations:
December 3-4th locations
- Loblaws – Queens Quay – 10 Lower Jarvis St.
- Loblaws – Burnhamthorpe – 380 The East Mall
- Loblaws – Humbercrest – 3671 Dundas St. W.
- Loblaws – Millwood & Laird – 11 Redway Rd.
- Loblaws – Roncesvalles – 2280 Dundas St W.
- Loblaws – Leslie & Lakeshore – 17 Leslie St.
December 10-11th locations
- Loblaws – Victoria Park – 50 Musgrave St.
- Loblaws – Yonge & York Mills – 3501 Yonge St.
- Loblaws – Bayview & Moore – 301 Moore Ave.
- Loblaws – Dupont & Christie – 650 Dupont St. Toronto
- Loblaws – Forest Hill – 396 St Clair Ave W.
- Loblaws – Maple Leaf Gardens – 60 Carlton St