Build a career with purpose.
Join a group of passionate individuals committed to fulfilling Second Harvest’s vision: No Waste. No Hunger.
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue charity and an expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food across the country and distribute it to not-for-profits and charities from coast to coast to coast. Last year, we rescued 74.4 million pounds of nutritious unsold food that was redistributed to a broad network of more than 4,400 social service organizations.
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-deserving groups such as (but not limited to) racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process and will accommodate your needs under any applicable Human Rights legislation. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.
Don’t see an opportunity that’s a good fit for you right now? Perhaps you would like to get involved with Second Harvest as a volunteer. Visit our Volunteer page, or for more information or email Amanda Crawford, Volunteer Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to expect when you apply for a job at Second Harvest
Second Harvest welcomes and encourages applications from people living with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. If you request an accommodation, we contact you and provide or arrange for suitable accommodation based on your individual needs.
Our screening and selection process may include several steps, including preliminary phone interviews, in-person or virtual interviews, and skills testing (depending on the position).
As a condition of employment, Second Harvest conducts background checks and reference checks for all open positions.
Work in one of Canada's Most Admired Cultures
Second Harvest is listed among Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures. This national award, founded by Waterstone Human Capital, annually recognizes best-in-class Canadian organizations for having cultures that have helped them enhance performance and sustain lasting, positive results. Our people have always been at the core of our success as an organization, and creating a world-class corporate culture has been a strategic priority for many years. We'd love to have you join our team!
Work with a purposeful organization aligned with your values
Our work to end food waste began in 1985 in the Greater Toronto Area, where driver and warehouse ambassadors transported and redistributed millions of pounds of food, no matter the weather or road conditions, the narrow alleys, or the congested downtown streets. Our humble roots remind us that a single act of giving spurs another. That positivity and determination has proven time and again that together we can make a difference. We’re now the largest food rescue organization in Canada and our determination is stronger than ever.
There are many opportunities to make a difference at Second Harvest and contribute to our vision of “No Waste. No Hunger.” From fundraising, food-raising, marketing and communications to national operations, product development, fleet and warehouse, finance, human resources, grant management, and administration, there are so many opportunities to be part of our exceptional team.
Our values guide us in everything we do to realize our vision of “No waste. No hunger.”
We improve food access to ensure everyone, regardless of their economic situation, can have good food
We consistently strive to have a positive impact on the environment
Open, honest and transparent, we hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards
We believe we can accomplish more when we work together
We offer a comprehensive group benefits plan that gives you access to these important health services:
- Life insurance, AD&D
- Long-term disability
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Drug coverage
- Hospital Benefit
- Health Spending Account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Other benefits include ambulance service, travel emergency medical cover, and paramedical services such as massage, physio, chiropractor, clinical psychologist or social worker.
Second Harvest is proud to be a certified Ontario Living Wage Employer. We offer a Defined Benefit Pension Plan that’s complemented by access to financial planning support and in-house information sessions on financial wellness.
Life and work can overlap and intersect in many ways, and we recognize that overall well-being is important for the health of our people and our organization. Here are a few of the ways that Second Harvest is investing in the well-being of our employees:
- Vacation starting at 4 weeks per year, paid sick leave, paid personal days, and other paid time off
- Additional time off around the year-end holidays and in the summer
- Staff recognition initiatives and appreciation events
- Employee-led Mental Health Committee
- A program of webinars and speaking events on related topics
Learning and development
Second Harvest is a learning organization and supports the continuous learning and development of our people throughout their career. This includes:
- Annual investment in external professional development available to support identified learning objectives
- Office-wide learning opportunities through a program of speakers
- Succession planning and learning paths
- Access to courses in the Second Harvest Training Portal
- Access to Life Labs Skills Coach in Culture Amp
- Access to LinkedIn Learnings
- Access to Canadian Centre for Diversity & Inclusion library of resources
Flexible and engaging work environment
COVID-19 has changed the work environment. At Second Harvest we’re embracing those changes to provide a work environment that’s flexible and engaging.
- Flexible working hours with remote and hybrid work options
- Completely new office/warehouse designed with employee needs in mind
- Meeting-free days across the office to enable focus
- Employee-led Social Committee to create inclusive opportunities for fun and social connection with colleagues
- Commitment to communication with employees through regular Town Halls, employee surveys, and CEO updates
- Dog-friendly office
At Second Harvest, employees engage in hands-on, meaningful opportunities to contribute at the front line of our work.
- Ride-along in a truck and assist a driver-ambassador with food deliveries
- Help our non-profit partners by supporting our holiday food-raising campaigns
- Lend a hand and have some fun at the annual Toronto Taste gala fundraiser
Second Harvest is proud to collaborate with exceptional partners to help us improve the human resources experience for candidates and employees:
- eSSENTIAL Accessibility to ensure our digital platforms are not just compliant, but inclusive and reliable for everyone
- Equitek Employment Equity Solutions to diversify our outreach strategy by making our employment opportunities more available to underrepresented demographics across Canada
- Canadian Centre for Diversity & Inclusion to support us as an employer partner on our diversity and inclusion journey, through access to information and educational resources.
- Proudly certified as an Ontario Living Wage Employer