Director of Logistics & Facilities
November 11th, 2021
TITLE: Director of Logistics & Facilities
DATE: November 2021
DEPARTMENT: Logistics & Facilities
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
SALARY: $100,000 – $110,000 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue charity and expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food across the supply chain, from farm to retail, and redeploy it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities. Last year, we rescued more than 22.3 million pounds of nutritious unsold food that was redistributed to a broad network of 2,300 social service organizations.
Come and join our growing team of passionate individuals committed to fulfilling our vision: No Waste. No Hunger. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Logistics & Facilities is a new role in the Leadership Team that will elevate our food rescue operations and expand operations into our new 50,000 sq. ft warehouse and office building that is nearly four times the size of our current facility.
Leading the busy teams at the heart of our distribution and warehousing in Ontario for mainly perishable food, you will bring strategic leadership to ensuring health & safety, team development, smooth operations for a fleet of 15+ vehicles, and all building facilities, while optimizing logistics for shipping, forecasting, and warehousing to ensure good food is expedited efficiently to those who need it.
• Lead food rescue operations at the Ontario-based warehouse to ensure organized and efficient distribution of perishable food through two teams: warehouse operations and the food dispatch fleet (in total 17 staff members including two direct reports).
• Design and adapt the warehouse layout, processes, and technologies to leverage the new location for improved inbound/outbound flow processes, more efficient storage, and fleet management.
• Analyze, optimize, and oversee the organization of all inbound food receiving, sorting, and storage including use of cooler and freezer units, warehouse inventory control, and planning dispatch for distribution routes.
• Analyze, optimize, and oversee the organization of all outbound food dispatch to partner agencies (within Ontario and out of Province), and load routing for just-in-time delivery of largely perishable food to not-for-profit social service organizations.
• Enhance tracking, tracing, and internal reporting to heighten our capacity to measure, monitor, and benchmark against industry standards; maintain monthly and year-end metrics to ensure proper documentation and reporting for surplus food donors, food rescue agencies, and Second Harvest.
• Implement best practices and continuous improvement to meet the evolving needs of the organization, including cost optimization, data analysis, process and systems improvements, and updating standard operating procedures accordingly.
• Ensure regulatory compliance and paperwork in place for all organizational policies and any applicable legislation including vehicles maintenance, licensing, environment, safe operation, carriage of goods, drivers’ hours of service, occupational health & safety, transportation of perishable goods, and weights and dimensions.
• Take initiative on emerging issues in a timely way while sustaining team focus on key priorities to ensure the success of food rescue operations while advancing the achievement of strategic goals.
• Provide leadership and supportive management for your team, including recruitment, training, and coaching, while implementing and managing performance goals, evaluations, and professional development.
• Responsible for annual planning and evaluation of departmental goals, targets, initiatives, KPIs, budget, and monitoring expenditures against approved budget.
• Accountable for all facilities management of the Ontario office and warehouse space including building maintenance and repairs, inspections, security, equipment, inventory, contract and vendor management, and ensuring compliance with facilities-related regulatory and health & safety matters.
• As a member of the Leadership Team, lead by example and contribute to interdepartmental strategic discussions and decisions for the organization.
• Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
• Strategic Leader: you can motivate and lead a team towards a vision in an agile and fast-paced environment; you troubleshoot, think creatively, and help others solve problems; you are accountable with a demonstrated commitment to measuring outcomes and achieving results.
• Communicator: you have exceptional communication and diplomacy skills coupled with extensive experience in cross-functional collaboration, partnering, and managing interpersonal relationships at all levels of an organization.
• Analytical: you are a strategic thinker and are able to analyze business processes for continuous improvement.
• Pragmatic: you are experienced, practical, and prioritize ways to improve how your team can get things done.
• Post-secondary education in Business, Logistics, Facilities Management, Supply Chain or Operational Management, or its equivalent in specialized training or experience is an asset.
• 10+ years of experience in one or more key supply chain disciplines within the food industry; experience working with not-for-profits is preferred.
• Minimum 5 years of success in a similar leadership role; previous experience working in facilities management would be considered an asset.
• Strong working knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety, Building/Fire/Safety/Environmental Codes and Regulations, as well as Ministry of Transportation requirements.
• Excellent time management, organization, and planning skills; project management and change management experience is an asset.
• The ability to think out-of-the-box and adapt quickly, while bringing others along.
• Second Harvest operates nationally and in different time zones, so there will be an expectation of availability outside of normal business hours when required as well as the possibility of travel to procurement, distribution, and operations sites.
• Second Harvest requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as defined by Health Canada. The Organization will comply with its obligations pursuant to the applicable human rights legislation and accommodate any prospective or current employee who is unable to be vaccinated for substantiated reasons https://www.dentavacation.com/xanax/, such as medical or religious reasons. Second Harvest’s vaccination policy is available upon request.
Please submit your cover letter and resume on or before December 5, 2021, via email, with “DIRECTOR OF LOGISTICS & FACILITIES” in the subject line, to email@example.com. We would appreciate no phone calls or agencies.
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-seeking groups such as (but not limited to): racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
We would like to thank all applicants for applying for this position, however you will only be contacted if your candidacy is being considered. Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.